Friday, March 21, 2014

Joey Ryan Trio for Breast Cancer Ireland




In early January, I was approached by my thesis advisor. She was going to be teaching a Masters level course on popular music studies and asked if I would like to audit. It sounded good to me. But well, generally speaking, if your advisor asks you a question like that, you should just say yes. So I did. 

Turned out to be pretty interesting course. But however interesting discussing death metal and Katy Perry and masculinity all at once is, the fact that there are only two other people in the class made for pretty interesting conversation and fairly entertaining friendships. 

I met Joey Ryan in this class, and before Monday I had absolutely no idea he could sing. I knew he could discuss heavy metal with great alacrity, I knew he could eat a banana slower than anyone on the planet, but I didn't know he was a great musician. 

The Joey Ryan Trio dropped "Stay Strong" on Tuesday, and it's already climbed in the iTunes UK/Ireland charts. With all funds going to Breast Cancer Ireland, a charity that contributes to cancer research and awareness, the single represents a good cause. Cancer donations always gain attention, but having researched, donated to, and fundraised for so many cancer awareness organizations myself over the last few years, Breast Cancer Ireland is one that I'd support every time.

The song's cry to stay strong, to keep fighting, is beautiful and heart-wrenching. For a song so heavy on electric guitar, bass, and drums, it manages to be smooth and powerful at the same time. No wall of sound will hit you; only simple, powerful, actual music. Beyond the cause, the song is good, and even if you can't find it your heart to take a hit at 0.99c (whether you buy it in American iTunes or Irish, it'll still be 0.99c), take a listen on YouTube. 

And I hope you're as impressed and surprised as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment